- 1. Create eligibility profile
- 2. Create Derived Factors
- 3. Create Repeating Time Periods
- 4. Create Absence Plan
- 5. Create Absence Types
- 6. Enroll a Worker to Annual Vacation Plan
- 7. Scheduling the vacation
About Fusion Absence Management
In fusion absence management is a part of workforce deployment offerings where it gives a lot more feature compared to oracle Ebiz. If you tried to learn absence management in Ebiz and gave up only because of the complex fast formulas then there is a good news for you. Most of the complex business requirement can now be easily handled by simple User Interface without writing a single line of code. However, it doesn’t mean that you cannot write formula, fast formulas are still there if you wish or need to use them.
Fusion Absence Management : Setup steps
Below diagram explains all possible steps required to setup absence management including optional steps. Absence types would be your center of attraction as absence category, absence plan, absence certificate, absence reason will be linked with absence types only.
Understand with examples
There are many new concepts and terminologies introduced in Fusion absence management, which are worth to explain but I think the best idea would be to understand them with an example. I will talk about them in more details when the time will come.
- There is a need to setup absence type of “Annual Vacation” in your organization for full-time and active payroll employees
- employee who has been in the organization for more than 10 years will receive 24 days of annual leave (entitlement) in an year and rest will receive 18 days.
- The entitlement will be given on a monthly basis (end of the month)
- employees can take their unused leaves to next year but not more than 5.
- At any point of the time no employee will have more than 30 days of leave balance.
- Employees will be allowed to over withdraw but balance should not go less than -2.
- Employees should also not be able to apply Annual Vacation for more than 5 days.
- Hr Administrator should have access to adjust Annual Vacation balance for any employee.
So, far this example, setup steps would be as follows
Create eligibility profile
As the Annual Vacation is only for active employees with active payroll, we need to create eligibility profile and later add this with absence types so that all eligible employees will be enrolled automatically.
Navigation : Navigator » Workforce Management » Absence Administration » Manage Eligibility Profile
Click on the Manage Eligibility Profiles under Tasks and then click on Create icon to select Create Participation Profile
Once you click on the Create Participation Profile following page will appear. Now enter the name (Name is generic and same eligibility profile can be attached with more than one absence types, so give a common name). Make sure status is Active and other details as shown in the screenshot below.
Once you enter basic details click on Employment Tab and then Assignment Status sub tab and click on Add icon. Enter the detail as follow
- Sequence : 10
- Assignment Status : Active – Payroll Eligible
Similarly click on Assignment Category sub tab and make entries as follows. Once done click on Save and Close
- Sequence : 20
- Full Time or part time : Full-time Regular
Create Derived Factors
As per the requirement employee who has been in the organization for more than 10 years will receive 24 days of annual leave (entitlement) in an year and rest will receive 18 days. So for this we need to define Derived Factors based on the length of service. We will link this derived factor with Absence Plan later in the course.
Navigation : Navigator » Workforce Management » Absence Administration » Manage Derived Factors
Select the Length Of Service tab and then click on the Create icon under the Search Result section. This will open a new window. Give it a name and enter other details as follows. Once done click on Save and Close
- Unit of Measure : Years
- Period Start Date Rule : Date of hire
- Determination Rule : As of event date
Create Repeating Time Periods
Now it is time to create accrual time periods. As per the requirement employees will be accrued every month. We will link this time period with absence plan later.
Navigation : Navigator » Workforce Management » Absence Administration » Manage Repeating Time Periods
Once you have clicked on Manage Repeating Time Periods, please click on Create icon under Search Result section and enter details as follow. Once done click on Save and Close
- Name : <Any Name>
- Period Type : Monthly
- Period Length : Calendar Month
- Sample Start Date : <Select Plan Cycle Start Date Ex: 1st Jan of the current year>
Create Absence Plan
We can say that prerequisites to create absence plan are done. Now it is time to create absence plan Annual Vacation and link attributes we have created so far.
Navigation : Navigator » Workforce Management » Absence Administration » Manage Absence Plans
Enter the details as follow and click on Continue
- Effective As-of-Date : < Give any past date since you want to use the plan >
- Legislation : <Select your legislation>
- Plan Type : Accrual
Now I feel it is time to talk a little bit about different plan types available in Fusion Absence Management. There are three different plan types available in Fusion Absence Management, which are given below:
Use this type to create absence plans that enable workers to accrue time for the purpose of taking paid leave, for example, a vacation plan. Our requirement qualifies for this plan type.
Use this type to create an absence plan where workers qualify for the plan as a result of events, such as long term illness or maternity, and receive payments during the absence period.
Create absence plans of this type to track paid or unpaid absences without maintaining an accrual balance or providing leave entitlements, such as periodic accruals. You can also use plans of this type in combination with a qualification plan. For example, use a no-entitlement plan to pay workers if they are not eligible for a standard maternity absence qualification plan.
Difference between Accrual Plan and Qualification Plan
|Accrual Plans||Qualification Plans|
|Eligibility determined at point of employment event (example: hire) and employee is enrolled||Eligibility is used to qualify employee for entitlements when absence is scheduled or recorded|
|Accruals are run at configured intervals and balances are calculated||System evaluates eligibility and entitlements as of a “qualification date”|
|System evaluates balances as of the absence end date||No enrollment data is held|
|Plan termination based on employment termination or loss of eligibility||Termination of employment may still require payment of outstanding entitlements|
It is also worth to mention that Absence Plans are the bridge between Fusion Absence Management and payrolls. So if you want Fusion Payroll to take care about the absence payment Plan must exist.
Okay so now we know what are the different plan types delivered by Fusion Absence Management and when they should be used. Now lets come back to where we were.
As soon as you click on Continue following page will appear. Ensure Plan Attributes tab is selected. Please enter the details as given below:
- Plan : Annual vacation
- Legislative Data Group : <Select from the list>
- Status : Active
- Plan UOM : Day
- Type : Calendar Year
- Calendar : 1st Jan of the current year
Now click on the Participation tab and click on Select and Add under Eligibility section, a pop-up will appear. Enter values as follow and click on Save and Close
- Sequence : 10
- Eligibility Profile : <Eligibility Profile That you created earlier>
Now click on Accruals Tab and enter details as follow:
- Accrual Definition : Matrix
- Payment Percentage : 100%
- Accrual Method : Incremental
- Accrual Frequency Source : Repeating period
- Repeating Period : <Repeating Period created in earlier step>
- Ceiling Rule : Flat Amount
- Ceiling : 30 Days <This is our requirement that no employee will have more than 30 days of annual vacation balance>
- Allow Negative Balance : Yes [Select the check-box]
- Negative Balance Limit : 2 <This is our another requirement that employee can over withdraw but not more than -2>
- Carryover Rule : Include in Matrix
When you click on the Create enter the detail as follow
- Sequence: 10
- Accrual: 1.5
- Carryover Limit : 5
- Expression Builder : Click on expression Builder icon, which will open a new window. Click on Derived Tab » Click on Folder Length of service » Select the length of service <Avi Length of Service> we created earlier » Click on Insert to expression » click on operators tab » Click on operators Folder » Select Less Than » Click on Insert to expression » Click on Expression Region and enter numeric value 5 » Click OK
Once again click on Create icon and make another entry as follow
- Sequence: 20
- Accrual: 2
- Carryover Limit : 5
- Expression Builder : Follow the same steps but this time values should be like [LengthOfService.AviLengthOfService] >= 5
Information : Just in case if the requirement would have been that a new employee who has just been enrolled to Annual Vacation will continue to accrue from first day but can not use the accrued leave for first two months, you will make use of Accrual Vesting Rule introduces in Fusion Absence Management. Setting would look as given in the screen-print.
Now click on the final tab Entries and Balances
As the requirement also says that HR administrator should be able to adjust the Annual Vacation balance we need to enable this option over here. Just select the check box Other Adjustments and select all values from Other Adjustment Reasons
Information : If you want to pass the information to payroll for calculation (including Rate Definition) you select the check-box to yes for “Transfer absence payment information for payroll processing” under Payroll Integration
Click on Save and Close
Create Absence Types
Now it is time to create absence types.
Navigation : Navigator » Workforce Management » Absence Administration » Manage Absence Types
As soon as you click on Manage Absence Types a pop-up window will appear there you need to enter following details and click on Continue
- Effective As-of Date : <Any Date Should be past date before or equal to your absence plan start date>
- Legislation : Select from the list
- Pattern : Generic absence
I believe this is time to talk about the different Patterns available in Fusion Absence Management.
An absence pattern contains a predefined set of rules that you can use as a starting point to create an absence type. The pattern that you select determines whether special fields appear on the absence type pages, as well as the options available to display and process various aspects of absence recording. For example, the Illness or injury pattern displays a field that enables you to select whether the absence type applies for childbirth or adoption placement. Fusion Development maintains patterns and there is no UI available to users to update content of patterns. Following are the three patterns available in Fusion Absence Management.
- Illness or injury
- Childbirth or placement
- Generic absence
Okay, so as soon as we click on Continue following page will appear
Enter the details as follow
- Name : Give it a name
- UOM : Days
- Legislative Data Group : <Select from the list>
- Status : Active
- Maximum Duration Alert : Error [Since this is our requirement not to allow more than 10 days of leave]
- Maximum Duration : 10
- Select following three check boxes
- Enable Employee Update
- Enable Manager Update
- Enable Administrative Update
Click on the tab Plans and Reasons and click on Select and Add to make entry as follows
- Plan : Our plan that we created earlier <Annual Vacation>
- Status : Active
- Priority : 1
Now click on next tab Display Features and make sure you have selected following options for section Additional Details
Also please make sure you have following details for section Dates and Duration
Now our Annual Vacation plan setup is done. Few more steps would be to check the employees vacation, adjust their balance and schedule absence.
Enroll a Worker to Annual Vacation Plan
Login as HR administrator and follow below navigation
Navigator » Workforce Management » Person Management » Search For a worker » Tasks » Absences » Manage Absence Record
Now Click on enrollment and adjustment and then click on Add Enrollment. This will bring a pop-up where select the plan Annual Vacation and enrollment Start Date
Now first select the plan Annual Vacation and click on Accrual and select Run Accrual for selected Plan
This will bring a pop-up where you select the current date and click on yes. After than you can check the balance in Annual Vacation row.
You can also adjust the balance by selecting Enrollments and Adjustments » Adjust Balance.
Scheduling the vacation
In Fusion Absence Management submitting/raising absence is more commonly known as scheduling absence. Okay, we have worked hard to configure Annual vacation now it is time to check how it works. Remember one of the requirement was not to allow workers to schedule Annual Vacation for more than 10 days so lets test that.
Login as worker and follow below navigation :
Navigation : Navigator » My Information » My Protrait » Actions » Manage Absence Records
Click on Add icon and select Absence Type. Enter the Start Date and End Date so that the duration is more than 10 days and click on Submit. You should get following error message.
Information : You can also setup different approval process for your absence. To Get some idea on how approval process can be customized in fusion please follow the post Configure and Customize Approval Rules in Oracle Fusion
Additional Resource for Fusion Absence Management
You may be interested to check following oracle note Ids
- Fusion Absence Management: How to Audit a Leave Adjustment (Doc ID 1947741.1)
- Fusion Absence Management: Overlapping Absences Not Allowed in Fusion Release 8 (Doc ID 1943782.1)
Share your thought
Do let me know how did you like this post by commenting in comment section and also please review the post. Based on the request I may plan to write on other plan types with integration with payroll.